Saturday, November 24, 2018

Celebrating Pilipinx American History Month at Miracosta College

To celebrate Pilipinx American History Month (PAHM), Miracosta College hosted the Building PAHMilya conference. The event included speakers, workshops, and activities meant to recognize and promote Pilipinx history and culture. Conference organizers chose the word “Pilipinx” as a gender inclusive term. A team of Southwestern Bayan Scholars attended the program and had lots to say about the day’s event. This blog entry documents some of those reactions.


Riane R.’s reflection captured the experiences of attendees: “The PAHMilya conference up in Miracosta College was honestly the best thing I've been to! It taught me a whole lot on the history of being a Pilipinx American and how this month of October is dedicated to that. The people were fun to be around, the workshops were very interesting to go to, and the whole thing was just an awesome experience to witness.”


Jared C. pointed out the  importance of hearing other Pilipinx students share their experiences: “Hearing experiences of other students made me feel so much more connected on a personal level with other students that are of the same ethnicity as I am. I never knew that feeling alone racially was an important issue that needed to be talked about. I now wish to continue dialogue between students because these relatable discussions really bring us together as a people.”


One of the most significant moments in the day’s program was the keynote by Cristine
Sidela, the coordinator of Academic Successes and Equity Programs. JP A. noted the impact of Sidela’s keynote: “It was inspirational. Especially when she spoke about her experiences to get to where she is today. This hit me hard because I am walking my path to my goal. Attending the event made me see how there are other Filipinx out there that want to start a community to help Filipino Americans. This is important because of the prejudice of being Filipino even though you're American born, or those who do not feel Filipino enough have a place to be welcomed.



Riane echoed JP’s reaction: “Her speech moved me in an awestruck way. I told her that I loved her speech and it inspired me to keep pursuing my major/passion despite the downside of my parents not really supporting me. When I told her this, she persuaded me into keep on pushing further into my major/career of choice since it's what I love to do because if I did something that my parents loved, it wouldn't be a career worth pursuing. Hearing her keynote speech and talking to her one-on-one was definitely my personal highlight of the conference and I wish to be just like her one day.”


Jared C. noticed the connections between seemingly different topics, noting links between psychology, history, and careers. One psychological theme hit him hard was “the critical importance of battling "impostor syndrome" as well as seeing the need to band together as a people while encouraging one another to trail-blaze career pathways no other Filipinx has gone before, not to mention how imperative it is that our ethnic group breaks down harmful stereotypes that discredit the clout many of our fellow Pilipinx have gone so far to achieve. I would say that the recurring reminders of how these core concepts demand our utmost effort and repeating themes have become so embedded in my mind that I often find myself returning to them throughout the event."


Jared went on to describe how he was inspired by Pilpinx history and the need for political action: “Attending the event made me realize-- history repeats itself. As the keynote speaker Cristine Sidela shared her story about her university colleagues bringing about an ethnoracial board via protest that now serves students, I believe that we as a people can make concrete, tangible change happen where it needs to be. If Larry Itliong & Cesar Chavez could bring their own peoples together to carry out the Delano Grape Strike by their own hands, I know we can too. I believe in the motto "If there's a will--there's a way."


Bayan scholars believed events like Miracosta’s Building PAHMilya conference are vitally important. JP A. concluded that, “These kinds of events are meaningful because it shows how we can grant those who seem to be lost on being Filipino. To give a place where you can talk about your experiences to others.” Jared agreed, "These kinds of events are important because without them--what would become of Pilipinx representation in higher education, the military, or government? Most likely our people would become fragmented, while the future generations gradually lose touch with their mother blood, instead becoming engrossed with American culture by allowing English to completely stamp out Tagalog for reasons as mere as "it's inapplicable nowadays" or "native speakers are becoming so rare it is a dead language" God forbid. Heavens no!! There is most assuredly a definite need, a definite time, and definite place for the Building PAHMilya Conference in my life and many others for years to come.

Big salamats to Riane R, JP Ayonque, Jared C., and Kristian T. for their help authoring this blog entry.

No comments: